The original house house dates from 1675 and has been home to two of Sark’s three Seigneurial families: the Le Pelleys (from 1730) and the Collings (from 1852), ancestors of Seigneur Michael Beaumont. (The manor built by the first Seigneur, Helier De Carteret, in 1565 stands opposite the Visitor Centre and is known as Le Manoir.) When Susanne Le Pelley bought the fief of Sark in 1730 she already owned this tenement. She did not want to leave her family home so this became La Seigneurie, the home of the Seigneur. Dame Susanne continued the gentrification of the house begun by her family, erecting a dovecote and modernising the south front. The Jersey design of four windows downstairs and five above using Jersey stone was very fashionable. In 1852 Dame Marie Collings bought Sark from the Le Pelleys (to whom she had lent money for their ill-fated silver mining venture in Little Sark) and La Seigneurie was again extended and modernised.
The buildings have been much altered over the years, most notably by the Reverend WT Collings, the great great grandfather of the present Seigneur. With typical Victorian passion for both military and ecclesiastical architecture, he added the large drawing room wing and the tower and joined the two separate houses with a crennelated link. The complete house of La Seigneurie as we see it today was therefore never planned as a whole but rather evolved in stages under the whims of successive Seigneurs. The result is a house of great character which has often proved most bewildering to guests who find it easy to lose themselves inside the building. Starting from anywhere there are at least two ways to nearly every room and no less than sixteen flights of stairs, excluding those to the tower.