To own a Colombier or dove-cote is an exclusive right of the Seigneur and they are a common feature of Channel Island manor houses. It is a privilege dating back centuries when pigeons were bred for food and when, as now, uncontrolled breeding would have endangered the tenants’ crops. This elaborate Colombier was built in 1855 by Seigneur WT Collings. The current flock of white fan-tailed doves has been much reduced by the local sparrowhawk. The house behind the Dove-cote was built in the 1970s for the Dame of Sark’s cook. Officially called Le Colombier, it is still known by many as Cook’s Cottage or Cookie’s.